Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What to Do

I've been busy with my classmates, fighting to get admitted into lawschool. Thing is, we'd already been offered admission, but our evil Acting Dean decided to send the results of just some of the people in our class to lawschool. Those guys have been at their various campuses having lectures for almost a month. We on the other hand, have had to struggle to make him send our results to Abuja. He finally did, long after the deadline. The result? about 200 qualified law graduates have to wait almost an entire year. It's annoying. I hear the Acting Dean now has police protection. God help him!
The Struggle as we refer to it, is now practically over. We celebrate our small victories and hope that the wounds will soon phase into scars. there's been a lot of strategizing. An unlikely bunch of classmates thrown together by a common challenge. I'm now friends with people i never spoke to in all the 6 years i spent in that faculty. there has been a lot of bitterness confessedas well as a lot of beer consumed. there've been anecdotes from the time spent chasing that LLB degree. there's the guy who 'toasted' the most wicked female lecturer when he was in year 2. He claims he'd thought she was a student because of her very nice legs. He developed cold feet for Madam Hot Legs when someone told him who she was. He never called her, even though she had given him her number. the next time she saw him, she yelled "I don't like being disappointed!". He, on his part, prostrated and begged her to forgive him for ever coming on to her.
Now I have a year to fill, but I'm too exhausted to evaluate my options. I feel like I need to sleep for a long time, even my body aches. I got a call from my cousin she wants me to 'come to Lagos and hustle'. I'm not even sure what that means. My sister thinks I should travel, but she's not very clear on whether she'll be willing to bankroll such a trip. My mother called me last night.
"What are you doing now Porter?"
"Nothing."
"When are you coming home for Christmas?"
"As soon as my girlfriends release me."
She chuckles uncomfortably, not sure if I'm serious.
"Well, don't keep us waiting for too long."
"Ok."
"Have you thought of what you'll do next year?"
"I'll find something to do. Maybe learn Spanish or something. I might even blog"
"What's that?"
I explain.
"I thought you wanted to be a writer? This blogging thing sounds like a compromise."
"Okay."
"I hate it when you do that Porter."
"Sorry."
"Anyway, take care out there. Don't do anything that..."

The network rudely interrupts. Service is down again. I try to call her back, but I can't get a connection. I sit back and try to think of what I'll do in the coming year. My mind yawns. I'm having unpleasant flashbacks to that nasty episode with Punishment. I lie down and hope to wake up in 2008.

16 comments:

Femme said...

Just wanted to say hi before reading-
so, hi.

Femme said...

congrats!!!
almost a lawyer.
i'm one of those people who have beef for lawyers but mine is because u guys are the only ones who really celebrate(after law school)
and please be a writer cos im waiting.

ps
i agree with your mum- blogging is compromising.

Atutupoyoyo said...

My dear Porter sorry o. Injustice has become so rife in that country, and at so many levels, that it is hard to be anything other than blasé when one becomes its victim.

However I have lamented many times on not taking some time off after my studies. I see this, therefore, as an opportunity and you have already hinted at one or two things that could fill the time. Travel is a must in my opinion as is mastering a new language.

Blogging is a compromise only for the most promising writers and an apogee for the less than adequate ones. I would comfortably put you in the former category. Could this be the year you actually knuckled down, garnered some more experiences through further travel and actually start knitting together the delicate fabric of a manuscript? What stops you? You clearly have a voice and African writers are hot property at the moment. Exploit the market and get yourself an agent. They are crying out for good material and will do all the hard work for you. Quite often a chapter or two of one's work is sufficient to secure their services.

Dear sir, I hope I have been able to convince you and not to confuse you that this "gap year" is in fact a blessing and an opportunity to fulfil one or two aspirations that have lingered for far too long.

badderchic said...

Good boy...
God save u say u update, i don dey plan for you.

I Subscribe to ur cousins idea, better come to Lagos and hustle, you can do yahoo, sell recharge card in traffic, work with lastma...lol.

i miss ur writing, do us good.
happy holidays.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Oh that sucks! My brotha sorry. 2008 will surprise you though. All things happen for a reason.

Anonymous said...

Porter dear... what can I do to make you feel better?

Afrobabe said...

LOL...cant stop laughing at the friend who toasted the lecturer...

Merry christmas..

Anonymous said...

there seems to be a fatigue/weariness-bordering-on-depression or unhappiness at the very least, running through blogville these days.

Bubbles said...

Eya, sorry u have to waste a year for nothing. My friend went thru a similar thing in uniben 2 yrs ago, but she was lucky as her result was sent b4 the deadline, although she started law school later than her mates.

Take it easy oh, and try to go to lagos to hustle. Whatever that means.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Mommy said...

"I lie down and hope to wake up in 2008"

It's time to wake up now. We in 2008. Yiiiiippppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee! Happy New Year!!

badderchic said...

And i thought i was getting awful when it comes to updating.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Hallo! Just wanted to say Happy new year! Keep well!

bArOquE said...

...porter, me sef i tire2...take am easy oh...your Dean just might soon be alone, Fed Gov is withdrawing all the officers wey dey body body guard for ppl wey get money...boy, you're almost a lawyer...no rush...law school can wait...take it from me...go learn French & Karate now you can

princesa said...

Congrats on ur completion of ur course even tho you still gat the law school ordeal ahead.

lol@ ur coz's suggestion.
I second atutu,maybe u should get a book deal.

Jennifer A. said...

Happy new yr Porter. I hope u blog more this yr cos u're just too interesting and hilarious...lol. Tell ur mum blogging is so not a compromise...it's only a pathway to the brighter future...